This chickpea, zucchini, and tomato salad feature nutritious vegetables and superpowered chickpeas that is bright and delicious. It is drizzled with a light and easy spinach pesto that showers it with an even bigger boost of nutrients. Feel free to add more fresh seasonal vegetables. You can also use another dressing or vinaigrette that you enjoy. I would keep the dressing lighter such as a simple vinaigrette with oil, vinegar, and fresh parsley or tarragon so you don’t overpower the flavor.
Chickpea, Zucchini and Tomato Salad with Spinach Pesto
- 1 large zucchini, sliced
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1-1/2 cups lightly packed spinach
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup virgin olive oil
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- Preheat oven to 425º.
- On a foil-lined baking sheet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, arrange zucchini and season with salt and pepper. Roast 25 minutes, or until lightly browned and tender.
- Meanwhile, add walnuts to a food processor or blend and pulse until walnuts are a fine meal. Do not over process.
- Add the spinach, basil, garlic, juice, and zest from the lemon, 2-1/2 tbsp oil, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper, pulsing until the mixture is combined, scraping down the sides of the container as needed. Slowly blend in the remaining olive oil.
- In a large bowl, add the zucchini, chickpeas and cherry tomatoes. Drizzle with pesto sauce, gently tossing to combine. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate up to 3 days.